Tuesday, May 22, 2007

An Update - Batch #2, Batch #3, beer-wine.com


Okay kids - this is why I didn't start blogging in the first place; it's a real commitment. So, here's the quick and dirty on the past 2 months:

Batch #2 was a huge improvement over Batch #1. The extra few weeks in the carboy really made a difference in the clarity of the beer. Also, I used KreamyX as my priming sugar; I believe it gave my beer a better carbonation as well as a longer head (which still pales in comparison to anything store bought). I've since purchased a strainer for the next batch as working with whole hops was a pain in the butt.

I gave Batch #2 a public appearance and brought a 6 pack to my friend Amanda and Jim's party. Amanda drank 2; I was very flattered.

Also, I've picked out my next beer. I'm going to try and make a clone of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. My goal is to master the brewing of this quality IPA and be ready to make a Pumpkin Ale by the Fall. I think I've got Batch #3 & #4 in me prior to Batch #5 - Pumpkin Ale.
Also, I feel the need to give a big shout out to Beer-wine.com for having excellent customer service. I told them what I was trying to make, explained that this was my 3rd batch yet and they walked me through my options making me feel comfortable and "in" with the experts. I hadn't purchased my supplies anywhere else to date and now I know I never will. Great job, guys!

No comments: