Sunday, March 11, 2007

44 Bottles of Beer on the Wall

1) On March 6th, I bottled my first batch of homebrew - it was remarkably easy!
Here's how it came out:
# of Bottles: 44 (not all pictured)
Starting Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.021
Potential Alcohol: (1.046 - 1.021) x 105 = 2.625%


Man, that's some weak beer - my measurements are most likely off a tad, but still...

2) On March 8th, I opened a bottle - I expected that there would be no change -however, to my surprise when I poured the liquid in a glass, it fizzed and had a nice head to it. I made beer. Doesn't taste too bad, either - pretty bitter, but that's from the dry hopping, I think. Now, it just needs to clear.

3) Today, March 11th, I opened another beer - still hasn't cleared all the way, but at the bottom of the bottle I could see the yeast settling - it might just need a few more days. But, in the meantime, I'll start batch #2!

1 comment:

Aron said...

I'm having a similar problem. The ABV is only 2.4% - this is after 1 week primary and 3 weeks secondary. Now I may have made a mistake by taking the secondary reading from the bottling bucket "after" I added the priming sugar. Do you think that would cause the reading to be off? Did the ABV rise after a couple weeks of sitting in the bottle?