Monday, March 12, 2007

Home Brew Number 2


03/10/2007
Homebrew #2
5 gallons (19L) BK tap water

1 lb. crushed crystal malt grain
6.6 lbs. Muntons Light Malt Extract
2 oz Fuggles hops (60 mins)
1 oz Hallertauer hops (15 mins)
2 pkg. Muntons Ale yeast

I tried a few new things this time:


  • I steeped crystal malt grains in 6L of hot water for 5 minutes - this should increase the sweetness of the beer as my last batch was too bitter; the malt grain should also enrich the color to a golden red and increase the body and head.

  • I turned off the flame prior to adding the malt extract - this should prevent scorching of the malt extract; I'm not sure if I burnt the extract last time but something tastes off.

  • I used hop plugs, which are whole hops - this should help control the bittering from the hops as well as reduce the amount of "floaties" in the fermentation process.

  • Last time, I only cooled the wort to about 80 degrees - it needs to be at 68-72, so I overcompensated this time and got it down to about 42 degrees. I waited until it got back up to 65ish to pitch the yeast, but if anything ruined this batch it was that - I'm fearing the yeast won't start.

No comments: